My latest product review comes from The Classical Historian and in all honesty, this has been a very difficult post to write. I am currently homeschooling my five children, who range in age from 3 to 15 years old. We tend to gravitate towards unschooling and eclectic teaching methods, which is probably why I found this product a bit too structured and overwhelming for us. It just wasn't a good fit for our family. Having said that, I do think that it could be an excellent resource for other homeschooling families!
One of the products I received for review was the Ancient History Go Fish card game pictured below. I was very surprised to find that this game was intended for ages THREE and up as it seemed to be geared more for older kids than pre-k students.
Click on picture to enlarge.
I tried playing Go Fish with my 3 and 5 year old children, but they quickly lost interest. They did enjoy looking at some of the pictures on the cards, like the "Pyramids of Giza", "Tipi", and "Stonehenge" but other cards like "Attila the Hun"and "Emperor Qin" actually scared them. The "hints" written on the cards meant nothing to them (and I even had a hard time with a lot of them). They have asked several times to look at the cards, so perhaps in time they will come to be more interested in the game and enjoy learning more about ancient history.
I do love how the Go Fish Game is actually 4 games in 1 and includes instructions for:
1. Go Fish
2. Collect the Cards
I was very pleased with the quality of this deck of 50 jumbo cards and in my opinion, they will hold up well. If your child is a visual learner and loves ancient history, I think you might have found a match!
The Classical Historian carries another ancient history product that I think my younger children might enjoy very much, and that is the Memory Game, available for $14.95.
Right now, the Go Fish and Memory games can be purchased together for $19.99! Great deal!
I also received part of the Classical Historian Ancient Civilizations Curriculum, which is one complete year of study for grades 6-8.
- 1. 32 Week Guide for the Parent/Teacher with Take a Stand! Key - 53 Pages 24.99
2. Take a Stand! Student's Book - 89 Pages 18.95
3. Teaching the Socratic Discussion DVD Curriculum - 4 DVDs, 77 Pages 79.99
4. World History Detective, published by The Critical Thinking Company 34.99
5. Global History and Geography, published by Amsco Publications 19.99
- The entire curriculum is available for the purchase price of $168.99.
- To view a curriculum sample, please click here.
- Like I mentioned earlier, I found this curriculum to be too structured for us and not a good fit for the learning style of my children. I do love how the lessons ask questions that involve some in-depth thinking on the part of the student, but a lot of writing is involved as well.
- Having to go from lesson guide, to DVD, to one book then another was very overwhelming for me. The lessons are very well thought out and I can tell that a lot of time and effort were put into each and every one. The discussion questions and research subjects are excellent and thought provoking. If you like structure, this might just be the curriculum for you!
- The Classical Historian has available reading guides, primary sources, textbooks, and discussion questions for the five specific periods of ancient, medieval, early American, modern world, and modern American history for students in grades 3 and up, including year-long courses for students in grades 6-12.
Interested in Online Classes for your Junior High student for the 2013-2014 school year? Click here for more information.
Just in time for Independence Day, The Classical Historian is offering a free summer lesson from American Democracy and Economics.
Find them on Facebook or visit them at www.classicalhistorian.com to sign up for their monthly newsletter to receive coupons and teaching tips.
To view a video sample of the dvds included in the curriculum, click here.