Feeling Like Super Mom

Tuesday was a rare productive day for me. Not that I'm lazy (well, I guess sometimes I am). I just have a few health issues which bog me down sometimes. So, getting all this stuff crossed off of my "to do" list had me pretty much feeling like Super Mom! Please allow me to revel in that feeling, because I'm sure I won't experience a day like that again any time soon! LOL

I started the day out making chocolate chocolate chip breakfast muffins. Believe it or not, they were actually pretty healthy which was a good thing since my 4 year old ate more than half of them throughout the day. He's such a picky eater that I was almost glad he pigged out on them.

After breakfast, my son and I spent the next 2 hours pulling weeds and mulching my flower beds. They look SO much better than they did before which makes me wonder why I procrastinated  for so long. Here is an embarrassing "before" photo:
And here are some "after" shots:

We also worked on a few other areas and I finished planting the tray full of plants that he got me for Mother's Day. ALL purple - my favorite color!

I still have a lot of work to do in this area. The daybed frame pictured above needs sanded down and painted for one. We also need to lay down a bunch of big flat river rocks where we have our picnic table. Right now, it's just ugly brown dirt and when it rains, there is so much water that pools in the area. I'm hoping the sand we use to set the rocks will help alleviate that problem. Otherwise, we'll have to move the picnic table.

One more area we are working on is this one:
It's pretty much always in the shade so I have a difficult time planting flowers there. I had a rose bush in this area, but it never once bloomed in the 4 years it was there so I recently moved it to another area. Hoping it survives the transplant! After I took this picture, my 12 year old twins went down to our creek and got some rocks for the border. They rode a bike down the road with their little brother's wheelbarrow tied to the back. Much easier than carrying the rocks in a bucket!

After the yard work, along with normal daily chores, I was also able to wash a few loads of laundry and hang them on the line (LOVE the way line-dried clothes smell!), made up a batch of homemade laundry soap, started another batch of homemade vanilla extract, made homemade biscuits and cinnamon bread pudding to go with dinner, made homemade baby wipes and worked on some blog posts. I was totally exhausted come bed time, but in a good way!

I have to say, it's a very good thing I was able to get so much done on Tuesday because on Wednesday morning, I woke up with such a horrid sinus/migraine that I wasn't even able to sit upright. Thank goodness for older kids who can help with the little ones at times like these. I've not been feeling well for the past 2 & 1/2 months but whenever I would call my doctor, I was told they couldn't fit me in. They called in prescriptions for me a couple of times (without seeing me), but I finally had enough and recently switched doctors. I saw my new doctor today and after a shot of pain meds in the office and picking up several prescriptions for a chronic sinus infection, I hope I am finally on the road to recovery! I still have to schedule a CT Scan of my sinuses but I'm so thankful for a doctor who actually acts like a doctor!

What about you? How is your week going? I'd love to hear about it!


Andrea @ No Doubt Learning said...

It's amazing how much the mulch makes your plants pop! It looks nice and inviting! (I've got to get out and weed while the ground is still soft...before the heat kicks in!)

Over Yonder said...

Same kind of week! All of us have been working to get on top of the WEEDS over taking the plants/trees/flowers. I live in the south and with the rain we have been having it's been hard to keep up with everything else. I can't tolerate heat much and neither can my son so we try to go out in the morning. I love your flower BEDS!